Residents of NYCHA housing are demanding that the organization credit them for the added expenses they've incurred after a severe utility outage that some have called "inhumane." More than 60 families were affected when the gas was abruptly shut off at the Red Hook Houses. The agency did provide the families a single hot plate each to accommodate their cooking needs but some individuals were without this necessary utility for more than three months. Residents are demanding reimbursement and a credit to their monthly rent payments for the severe financial, emotional, monetary, and physical strain this hardship has placed on residents. Some say cooking dinner, a chore that used to take 45 minutes, can now take as much as two hours with the limited resources available to them.
Stairway accidents in New York City are not taken seriously. Stairwells are one of the most common locations for accidents within apartment complexes throughout New York City. These common building fixtures become dangerous because the stairways in apartment buildings are ignored by maintenance employees which lead to unsafe conditions. In fact, most safety hazards aren't addressed until an accident occurs.
One person was rushed to the hospital after a partial facade collapse in the Bronx late last month. The unnamed victim was walking along a stretch of sidewalk which passed beneath a building at 391 E. 149th Street at the time of the accident. Witnesses report seeing a large piece of the building's façade break free from a decorative section of molding near the roof and fall from a height of at least six stories before smashing into the sidewalk below.
Earlier this month, a tragic housing complex accident in Queens ended with two generations of one family shattered by the loss of one "very good boy." The 5-year-old victim's parents had left him in the care of his grandparents while they ran a few errands. Unbeknownst to the caretakers, the boy climbed out of a third-floor window and died after falling to the ground below. A preliminary investigation concluded that faulty locks on the bathroom door directly contributed to his death.
A new report released by the Public Service Commission places the blame for a deadly building collapse in Harlem last year squarely on the shoulders of Con Edison. The report says that the utility company was deficient in its duty to inspect and maintain the gas lines feeding buildings in the area and that a cracked joint led to a fiery explosion which leveled two residential buildings and killed several people last year.
A Brooklyn man was seriously injured in an elevator accident in New York Monday. Paul Masdeau was travelling down in an elevator at 1 St. Paul's Ct. in Prospect Park South when the elevator car stalled inside the shaft. Stuck between the second and third floors, Masdeau called for help from inside the car before attempting to escape. Fearing for his life he tried to pry open the exterior elevator doors and ended up falling.
A terrifying sidewalk cellar door accident in Manhattan sent an unsuspecting pedestrian to the hospital with horrific injuries on October 15th. The man was simply walking past the McDonald's at the corner of Fifth Avenue and 34th Street when he stumbled and fell through an open sidewalk cellar door. He hit bottom 12 feet below street level and lay injured until rescue crews arrived.
An elevator accident in Manhattan at a luxury apartment building claimed the life of a 37-year-old Israeli man early this month. Eran Modan was visiting friends in The Espoir building in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, when the elevator he was riding in stalled between floors. Eran was attempting to crawl out of the elevator when the brakes failed and the car suddenly dropped, crushing him between the roof of the car and the floor. His friends were able to free him and attempted mouth-to-mouth resuscitation but Mr. Modan succumbed to his injuries before emergency service crews arrived.
A teenager exploring the abandoned Staten Island hospital complex on Castleton Ave. fell to his death in a terrible elevator accident in New York last week. The 16-year-old boy, Marcos Castillo, fell from the seventh story straight down an interior elevator shaft. The accident occurred at roughly 4:45 PM. Rescue workers rushed Castillo to Richmond University Hospital with severe trauma to his head. He was declared dead on arrival.
Legionnaire's Disease is making a comeback in the Bronx even as new laws put in place to help prevent such against negligent landlords in New York City.