A construction accident in New York City sent one person to the hospital after inhaling toxic smoke. The incident occurred in the early hours of the morning (roughly 4 AM) in the high rise Trump International Hotel in Manhattan. Reports show that a malfunctioning piece of equipment in one of the apartment-style units that was undergoing renovations caught fire. The blaze quickly spread to the remainder of the room and forced the evacuation of the entire hotel.
One victim, whose name was not released, was taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Fire crews were able to knock down the fire within an hour and all damage was limited to the one unit.
Every year unsafe construction equipment in New York City causes dozens of accidents at job sites around the city. These accidents can be serious; leading to hospitalization and even death for unsuspecting workers or innocent passersby. While it’s unclear exactly what machine caused the fire, it’s likely that poor maintenance or improper usage played a part.
Commercially manufactured machinery undergoes rigorous testing here in the United States. While defective equipment shipped straight from the factory can be a hazard at job sites, the most common factor in dangerous machinery malfunctions is human error. If machines are not regularly inspected, repaired correctly, and taken out of service when they are found to be in disrepair, they can cause injurious and even fatal construction accidents in New York City.
Additionally, if the person using the equipment isn’t properly trained in its operation or pushes it past its safe operational limitations, accidents could occur.
Property owners, general contractors and/or sub-contractors on the jobsite can be held liable for the injuries suffered by workers or passersby. Victims have the right to compensation for their injuries, lost time from and out-pocket expenses. If you or a loved one has been injured at a construction work site, contact an experienced New York City construction accident attorney immediately.