A camping accident in New York left 12 students from Brooklyn injured-at least seven of them seriously after an explosion in a rented bungalow. The students had just arrived at the camp in Orange County when they noticed a strong smell of gas coming from the kitchen area. Before the problem could be identified, there was a massive explosion which injured several of the victims and sparked a blaze that caught local firefighters off guard.
Indeed, there were no hydrants in the area so crews had to use a mobile pumping station to get the fire-which the local police chief called historic-under control.
The victims-students from a Yeshiva in Brooklyn who had rented the bungalow to celebrate their graduation-were all rushed to a nearby hospital suffering a variety of injuries. Five of them were treated and released but seven remained in intensive care. Three of the victims were listed in critical condition including one young man who suffered severe burns to his hands and legs.
When individuals are dealing with equipment such as propane stoves, gas heaters, and open flame, typical summer seasonal accidents in New York can result which can involve explosions, fires, and burns.
An investigation into this camping accident in New York is ongoing but early reports suggest there may have been a leak in the gas line which led to the cooking stove or a malfunction with the appliance itself. If that turns out to be the case, the owners of the camp could potentially be held liable for the injuries suffered by these young individuals.
If you’ve been injured because of a defect, malfunction, or improper maintenance at a summer rental property or camp anywhere across the state, contact an experienced seasonal accident injury attorney in New York to speak about your case confidentially. Call the Law Offices of Nussin S. Fogel at 800-734-9338 or 212-385-1122 for your free consultation today.