Don’t Settle For Less

Don’t Settle For Less

Archives

Apartment Accident in New York City Injures Two Young Girls (Among Others)

On Behalf of | Nov 26, 2021 | Apartment Accidents

Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer. Thankfully an apartment accident in Brooklyn involving the toxic gas ended before anyone was seriously injured. The FDNY was called to an apartment house located at 155 Nichols Avenue on October 19th because several residents of the building were experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. The victims included to young children—one just one-year-old. Residents were first alerted by CO2 alarms in the lower levels of the apartment sounding off. One resident went to check out the situation and passed out.

Carbon Monoxide can be deadly and comes from a variety of sources including appliances, car exhaust, and even natural leaks. This odorless, tasteless gas can leak into apartment buildings, filling living spaces and bedrooms silently and quickly. Victims of carbon monoxide poisoning often do not even realize anything is wrong. They simply get drowsy, often fall asleep, and sometimes do not wake up.

In total, the FDNY treated five individuals for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. The two youngest victims were transported to nearby Jamaica Hospital while the others were treated and released at the scene.

Under New York City Law, every apartment must have functioning carbon monoxide detectors. These alarms are designed to protect residents from a danger they cannot see or smell. If those alarms are not present or if they’ve been improperly maintained, injured individuals could hold the landlord liable for any pain and suffering they may have suffered along with any lost time from work and unreimbursed medical expenses.

If you suspect you or a loved one has been poisoned by any kind of gas leak, contact an experienced New York City apartment accident attorney today. Call the Law Offices of Nussin S. Fogel at 800-734-9338 or 212-385-1122 for your free consultation.

Archives